Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Send Away the Clowns

I'm in New York on a whirlwind biz trip. I hopped on the aptly-named red eye and arrived here Sunday morning. It is freezing here. Literally. And, despite my being a relatively seasoned traveler, I had no idea it was going to be so cold. Thus, I packed all sorts of fun, impractical options.

Note to NYC-bound travelers: Air Train from JFK is genius! Finally, a mass-transit airport option in the mass transit town which has oddly lacked any to-and-fro airport options. The only prob with my new favorite airport option is that each car does not come equipped with an espresso machine.

So, an hour and $7 later I was belched into the Javits Center here, where I stood in line to register for the Toy Fair convention. As I took my place in line, luggage and all, a band of clowns (I'm serious) broke into a raucous (of course! it was 9 am!) rendition of "When the Saints Come Marching In." In my state there could not have been a more surreal moment.

So, yeah: I'm here for Toy Fair and associated meetings. It's pretty amazing, actually. If you've been to any major trade show you know the drill: a few floors of exhibitors at the convention center, each trying to best their competitors. At electronics shows, that means the newest gadgetry. At boat shows I imagine that means busty, heels-and-bikini clad babes. At music conventions it means no meetings before 10am (at least). But at a toy convention, it means huge Lego constructions, a Slinky display, a gallery of Etch-A-Sketch easels, and, of course, a clown marching band. It's pretty great.

More later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home